According to John P. Kotter’s article “Why Transformation Efforts Fail”, there is a science to effectively managing major change. Kotter lists eight stages of creating major change and how to make them work. In today’s world of fast-pace business it is crucial that we are equipped to handle the rapid change that continues to drive the direction of many industries.
- Establish a sense of urgency – If it is important then make it a priority!
- Creating the guiding coalition – Get people together who have the authority to make things happen and let them do their job!
- Developing a vision and strategy – Know where you want to go!
- Communicating the change vision – Don’t leave those who are expected to “change” in the dark!
- Empowering broad-based action – Remove obstacles that can’t hamper involvement and results!
- Generating short-term wins – Small wins keep players motivated!
- Consolidating gains and producing more change – Promote, hire, and develop those who can make the change happen!
- Anchoring new approaches in the culture – Implement accountability system and hold everyone to the appropriate standard!